Snag a Button

Menu Bar

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What about feelings?

Still, I had one more question. If faith is a matter of taking God at His word, what does God say about His word? I found the answer in Scripture itself:

“Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words shall not pass away.” Matthew 24:35

“The word of the Lord abides forever.” 1 Peter 1:25

“The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.” Isaiah 40:8

These verses were telling me that everything in life may change, but God’s Word remains constant. His truth never changes. I was beginning to catch a glimpse of how faith in God’s promises could affect me the rest of my life.

For instance, I feel things very deeply. At times I am so happy I think I will never be sad again. Other times I am so sad I think I will never be happy again…and still other times I feel almost nothing.

But as strong and as fluctuating as my feelings are, God’s Word is
• truer than anything I feel
• truer than anything I experience
• truer than any circumstance I will ever face
• truer than anything in the world

Why? Because heaven and earth will pass away, but God’s Word will not. This means that no matter how I feel or what I experience, I can choose to depend on the Word of God as the unchanging reality of my life.

I look back on that summer evening and that homework assignment as a turning point in my life. Innumerable times since then, when circumstances and feelings have seemed more real than life itself, I’ve chosen to believe that God’s Word is truer than anything else. I’ve chosen to walk by faith.

Sometimes that choice has been difficult.

Taken from here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis